Saturday, June 9, 2012

How To Find A Blog Topic



Blog writing is different from writing books.  It's more spontaneous and dynamic.  It's also more interactive.  Even though I've been blogging daily for more than 1,000 days consecutively, I'm a relative newcomer to the writing world.  I rely on other bistro members to step up and show me the ropes once a week for guest post Friday.  My non-writing friends ask me how I pick my blog topics.  Here are some ideas to help you get ideas for blog writing:

  1. Write about your passions.  For me, writing is an extension of who I am.  Caveman Reflections Cyber-bistro is set up as a place for writers to come together and share these passions.  My original blog, Socalmulligan808.blogspot.com, is about my passion for living life to its fullest.  Sticking to my passions brings a special energy to my stories.
  2. Listen to your readers.  My readers are not shy about emailing me when they have a question or a suggestion.  Your readers want to get to know you.  Blogging is a great way to break down the barriers between readers and storytellers.
  3. Be interactive.  Invite your blog readers to comment on your stories.  Their feedback can help you stay relevant.
  4. Share who you are.  What is it that makes you the writer you are?  What do you do when you're not writing?  Who inspires you?  Why do you write?  Dig deep and don't hold back.  The more genuine you are with your readers, the more they will want to interact.
  5. It's okay to be human.  You are allowed to fail.  I fail everyday.  This is how I learn how to be better at my writing craft.  Why not share some of the rejection you get as a writer with your audience?  Show them your willingness to learn from your mistakes.  When you share your weaknesses, you build rapport with your readers.
I invite you to share how you pick your blog topics.  Please add your ideas in the comments section.  Happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment