Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Writing in Chaos

When amateur poet, Francis Scott Key, wrote "The Star-Spangled Banner" in 1814, not only did he contribute words that became our national anthem - in the fourth stanza, he wrote, "And this be our motto:  in God is our trust," which inspired our national motto.

Key's contributions came at a time when our country was at war.  He witnessed a chaotic time in our country's history and then wrote about it.

For me, writing during chaotic times adds color to my stories.  It's like being in stage 5 rapids.  Those people in the photo above don't know if they are going to flip over.  They are clinging to an exhilarating experience they will never forget.  I've felt the same way while navigating the Kern River near Bakersfield with my oldest son.  We traversed the river in a two-man kayak.  A recent storm made the river almost impassable.  What a thrill it was for both of us.

The power of Francis Scott Key's words is derived from his experience.  My upcoming novel is being pieced together during a chaotic time in my life.  My hope is that the thrill of my life's experiences, sometimes at stage 5 levels, will stimulate my senses to pen thrilling stories for my readers.  There is no better time to write than during periods of chaos.

How do chaotic experiences affect your writing?  Please add your comments below.

2 comments:

  1. I love this perspective! Thinking back, some of my best writing has come during those chaotic times.

    ReplyDelete
  2.  Edie,

    Thank you for your contribution to the Cyber-bistro and for becoming Caveman Reflections newest V.I.P. member.  I'm honored to have such talented writers and editors and look forward to serving you.

    ReplyDelete